An innovative and fast learning mechanical design engineer to help develop our bioproduction platform.
Unicorn Biotechnologies is an early-stage biotech company backed by Entrepreneur First, SOSV and other leading US/European investors. We are developing a next-generation biomanufacturing platform to accelerate the cultivated meat revolution. By removing the biomanufacturing bottleneck preventing cultivated meat transitioning from the lab bench to supermarket shelves. Our technology will create more just, safe, and sustainable food systems and drive the transition to animal-free agriculture.
You will design and develop novel hardware to accelerate biotechnology research, specifically bioreactors for the cultivated meat space. You will be involved in the whole product development cycle, from understanding user requirements through to delivering prototypes and ultimately manufacturable designs. The fast pace of a startup will mean that your day to day roles will be constantly changing and you will be expected to stretch your skillset to meet this.
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with team members to generate new hardware design concepts
- Creating CAD models of designs in order to test concepts and ultimately manufacture components
- Prototyping concepts in our workshop and sourcing complex components from manufacture partners
- Creating BOMs for manufacture
- Engineering drawings for production
- Suggesting new directions for our R&D projects and collaborating with biologists to facilitate interdisciplinary innovation
Curious and creative thinkers with a bias towards action, experimenting, building and a willingness to challenge dogma.
Collaborative and communicative people who thrive as part of a tight knit but technically diverse team.
An aptitude for picking-up new skills outweighs existing skills, but you are expected to have existing experience within:
- Mechanical design & CAD (SolidWorks preferable)
- Rapid prototyping including hands-on work (3D printing and manual prototyping)
- Engineering calculations to support design (both solid and fluid mechanics)
- Project management and design documentation
Other desirable skills include:
- Programming, especially embedded systems (c++, python, git)
- Electrical and electronic design and development, including hands-on electronics skills
- Past experience working on: industrial systems, medical devices, life sciences or similar
- A working knowledge of biology, especially mammalian cell culture
- Experience with good-documentation practice, CE marking, ISOs and FDA
All candidates who can fulfil the above roles from an engineering or STEM background will be considered. It is likely the successful candidate will have an MEng in one of Mech, Bio, Aero, ACSE, EEE and have some experience working in engineering.
- Join a fast-moving transformative industry in a high growth environment. Rapidly learn new technical skills and take on management positions as our team grows.
- Our networks are your networks. We will do everything to empower and promote the people that work with us.
- You will be based in the UK's greenest city on the doorstep of the peak district with world-class hiking, cycling, running, and climbing less than 15 minutes from our labs.
- Competitive salary and stock option plan.
- Flexible working hours.
- Make your work life easier budget.
- Bonuses upon filed and granted patents.
Submit your application here
This role will be based in our Sheffield office with flexibility for remote work when workloads allow.
Please fill out the application form; however, if you get stuck or have any questions email@example.com
Unicorn Biotechnologies is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces inclusion and diversity.